How Uphold keeps your personal and financial information secure
Uphold has taken steps to provide an even higher level of standard than most financial services companies for all of our accounts in order to ensure your account and your personal information are secure. These include:
- Account verification: Uphold, as a financial service adhering to the strictest security measures, implements Know Your Customer (KYC) controls. In order to safeguard our services from being used by bad actors, for money laundering and for the financing of terrorism and illegal activities, we require you to provide certain personal information in order to create an account and to go through a verification process in order to become a Uphold member and access our full range of services.
- Login protection: Two Factor Authentication is enabled as default on all Uphold accounts. When this is enabled, each time you login, you receive a pin code on your mobile phone which must be entered into the system in order to complete the transaction. We also implement time-outs and limited login attempts to improve security and enforce strong password rules, presented to the user on creation, and store the passwords using industry leading methods to protect them. Use of strong passwords combined with our two-factor authentication safely and securely protects your account in a way that is second to none.
- Data Protection: As a licensed, global firm, Uphold is required to adhere to EU data protection requirements, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) in the US, the People's Republic of China regulations to protect personal information, and all local, state, federal and International law to protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and any personal data collected from our members is done in accordance with the highest industry standards.
- Encryption: All the information you supply to us on the site is transmitted via Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol.
- Processes: When you submit information to our system, we follow strict security processes to prevent any unauthorised access to your data. Data can only be accessed by authorized Uphold staff on a strictly need-to-know basis. All Uphold employees have passed thorough background checks, including criminal record checks, as part of the hiring process.