What is Uphold?
Uphold is a digital money platform with more than 1.7 million customers globally and almost $6 billion in transactions to date. It serves both retail investors and businesses.
Leveraging blockchain technology, Uphold provides its customers with easy access to cryptocurrencies, national currencies, precious metals, yield/credit products, and soon crypto-backed debit cards. Customers can trade with zero commissions, or send funds to virtually anyone, worldwide, free of charge, including payments to businesses and employees.
Uphold is unique in translating all supported asset classes into a common digital language, which means that any asset can be exchanged directly into any other asset, creating an easy and intuitive trading experience. This 'Anything to Anything' architecture cuts out unnecessary fees and complexity compared with other platforms relying on currency pairs, which would require an intermediate trade to exchange Mexican Pesos into XRP, for example. You can see this best on our iOS and Android Mobile Apps.
Businesses use Uphold to pay people around the world, or to accept customer payments in cryptocurrencies and convert them automatically into local currencies. Accounts can be funded via seven crypto networks, bank connections in around 40 countries, as well as debit and credit cards. The platform offers 27 national currencies, 30 cryptocurrencies (including three stablecoins), and four precious metals. Uphold is available through web, iOS and Android applications.
A more versatile home for your financial life
We help you access financial services you can’t get through your bank. Whether you’re looking to earn more interest on your savings, send money to friends abroad, or invest in cryptocurrencies, Uphold makes life easy with low costs and a simple interface.
At Uphold you can:
- Earn 3-10 per cent annual interest on your holdings: whether USD, Euros, GBP, or cryptocurrencies.*
- Buy and sell a wide range of assets seamlessly from one account: 30 cryptocurrencies; 27 national currencies, four precious metals and more asset classes coming soon.
- Trade directly between any assets in one step - e.g. XRP to DASH, or Mexican Pesos to DASH - which on other platforms would involve two trades and two sets of fees.
- Spend your holdings using the world’s first multi-asset debit card, which renders cryptocurrencies, national currencies, and metals spendable at a fraction of bank FX rates.
- Send money to your friends and family worldwide - instantly, free and in any unit of value from Bitcoin to USD and Gold.
- Choose the currency you want to remit - e.g., Bitcoin - and your friends receive the currency they need - e.g., Euros, USD, CAD, Shekels in one automated transaction.
- Pay companies worldwide in their local currencies with Forex fees that are a fraction of those at banks (Uphold charges ~20bps for Euros to USD, for example)
- Get paid by your employer in any currency, or combination of currencies you want: 70% in USD, 10% Euros, 15% Bitcoin, 2.5% XRP, and 2.5% Cardano.
- Fund your account from debit/credit cards, bank accounts, or private wallets on seven crypto networks instantly and fee-free
- Withdraw your funds to bank accounts in almost 40 countries, or to private wallets on seven crypto networks - instantly and fee-free. Soon you’ll be able to withdraw funds to your debit card.
Think of Uphold as your bridge between the Old and New money systems.
Fully reserved means more secure
Uphold operates on a 100% reserve model, backing all user funds one-for-one in underlying holdings, unlike traditional banks, which operate a fractional reserve. The structure of our full reserve is published in real-time on our transparency page and all transactions are instantly, immutably and anonymously recorded and visible on our Reserveledger™.
With the ability to hold, send and receive value denominated in a range of currencies and commodities, people and businesses can trade cryptos, pay people worldwide and protect themselves from volatile currencies.
Please note: this is a summary of Uphold and our business. The legal obligations between Uphold and its users are controlled by the Uphold User Agreement.