How do I become verified on Uphold?
You only have to verify your identity when you want to withdraw or send funds from Uphold.
Our new rules mean that you can set up an account and start trading in less than a minute, using just your legal name and a verified email address.
You can still verify up front if you prefer, and it's easier than before thanks to fewer steps and clearer instructions.
By verifying at the start, you reduce the risk of withdrawals taking longer than you'd like, which can be frustrating.
The reason we verify your identity is to protect your funds and keep our community safe.
Our Identity Verification process is simple:
To verify your identity:
- Head to https://uphold.com/dashboard/membership/ and click "start"
- Enter your current residential address
- Take a clear photo of your valid government photo ID where the text is readable without any glare. Any of the following will do:
- National ID Card
- Driver's License
When uploading your photo ID:
- Make sure your document is valid for another 3 months, and doesn’t have hole punches or other damage
- Make sure the details on your ID match those details on your Uphold account (legal name, no nicknames)
- Ensure the document is in a well-lit area and there’s no glare. Daylight is best
- Photograph the entire doc and avoid cutting off corners or text
- Ensure the ID is fully visible and in focus
- Use the Chrome browser to complete the verification
- If you’re having trouble with the camera on a desktop or laptop computer, try doing it through the Mobile App instead.
- Make sure the app or program you use to take the pictures does not add any logos or watermarks
- Do not obscure any information on the ID
- If you make a mistake, refresh the page to restart the process. Do not attempt to complete the process if you know there’s a mistake.
- We don’t accept scanned or otherwise saved image files. If you do not have a webcam on your computer, you can use the mobile app to complete this step.
- Residents of Russia need to submit an International Passport with Latin characters.
When taking a Selfie:
Note that this may be required for account recovery if you lose your 2-Step Verification, or if extra security is needed for a certain activity.
- Make sure the light source is in front of you, not behind you, so your face is clearly lit and not in shadow.
- Face the camera and include your shoulders to the top of your head, like a passport or ID photo
- Use a plain wall as a background if possible
- Take the photo alone. No one else should be visible.
- Do not wear sunglasses or hats
- If you're wearing glasses in your ID photo, wear them in your selfie. If you are not wearing glasses in your ID photo, remove them for your selfie photo
We can normally verify you in a couple of minutes, and if you’re still having trouble, read the tips above or contact our friendly support team who'll be happy to help you.
You can tell if you’re a verified user by looking at the dashboard: you'll see a green check mark next to your profile in the upper right-hand corner. If it’s there, you’re verified.