How to link a U.S. bank account for Non-U.S. Residents
(For U.S. residents, click here)
Bank account funding is an easy and free way to add and withdraw funds to your Uphold Wallet. If you live outside of the United States, or are not currently a U.S. resident, but would like to connect your U.S.-based bank account, please follow the steps outlined below.
Your residence must be in one of the countries where Uphold operates.
To connect your bank account to your Uphold Wallet for the first time.
- Open the Uphold Money Card you wish to fund and click on the "Add Funds" tabs.
- Click "Add Bank Account."
- In the appropriate fields, enter your account and routing number. We recommend you give your bank account a name (in the field: ‘Label’) so you can easily identify it later, e.g. “My Chase checking account.”
- Click "Create" Your bank will now be linked to Uphold.
- Members can connect more than one bank account to their Uphold Wallet. If you wish to add another bank account, go back to the main “Add Bank Account” tab and click on “+ Add Bank Account” button above your list of “Available Bank Accounts.”
In order for transfers to be processed, the name on your linked bank account must match the name on your Uphold profile.
Once connected, you’re ready to transfer funds between your bank and Uphold:
- Open the Uphold Money Card you wish to fund and click "Add Funds". Currency conversion fees may apply.
- Select “Fund from Bank Account”.
- Choose which bank account you would like to add funds from.
- Enter the amount you want to transfer to your Uphold account, and click "Confirm."
As soon as your bank has confirmed the transfer, the funds will arrive into your Uphold account, typically within 5 business days. Uphold will send you an email notifying you when your funds have arrived.
You can use the same connected bank account to withdraw funds:
- Open the Uphold Money Card you wish to withdraw funds from and click "Withdraw".
- Choose your linked bank account.
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw and click "Confirm".
- Withdrawals are subject to daily limits.
Here are a few reasons why you might not have been able to add your account, and what actions to take:
- Frequently, members are using the incorrect routing number when linking their bank account. If you are having issues linking your account, you will want to confirm with your bank the number you are using is in fact the routing number (not the wire routing number).
- If you have a paper check the routing number can be found here.
- Confirm with bank routing number is routing number to be used with ACH
Name and address Mismatch:
- The name on your bank account must match the information on your Uphold wallet exactly. Uphold matches the name on your ID and address on your wallet to the information on your bank account. If the information does not match, please contact us with details regarding what the mismatch is, along with documentation to verify you are the authorized user/owner of the bank account. Please submit a recent and complete bank account statement where your full name, billing address and complete account number are visible for verification purposes.
- If you have a Latin name and the name on your Bank is your first name and the maternal last name, the automated account verification might fail. If it fails, please contact us with a detailed message of how the name on your bank account is different than the name on your ID and the Uphold team will manually verify the account.
Smaller Credit Unions and Regional Banks:
- In some rare instances, smaller credit unions do not participate in external bank verification processes. If your bank does not participate in the verification process your account validation will fail and the Uphold team will have to manually verify your account. Because of this, members will need to provide the most recent bank statement, from the bank account you are attempting to link. In extreme cases, our team might request a 3 way call with the bank to verify that you are the authorized user/owner of the bank account.