Taxes FAQ

It is important to note that you have a responsibility to self-report and pay taxes on all taxable gains. If you have any questions, we suggest you consult with a tax accountant or advisor to ensure you are filing and paying your taxes correctly. You can visit the IRS website to learn more:

Will Uphold provide members with a 1099-K form? 

Uphold has provided a digital download of the 1099-K form to U.S. members who have a U.S. mailing address, a U.S. Tax ID or TIN and the following applies to your account:

  • Have executed an aggregate amount in excess of $20K in 2017; and
  • Completed more than 200 distinct transactions; transactions include;
    • Deposits of any currency;
    • Internal transfers (Member A to Member B) of any currency;
    • Transfers within members wallet from/between card A and card B or between any two currencies

The 1099-K and Cost Basis Report can be accessed and downloaded directly from your Uphold wallet.

Here is a step-by-step guide how to do so:



In addition to the 1099-K, our team has created a Cost Basis Report which provides a detailed log of all your 2017 account activity within Uphold. This report provides all the data needed to complete a Form 8949 for your tax filing.


Here is an easy to follow guide how to access the Cost Basis Report:




Important to note: This FAQ does not constitute financial, legal or tax advice. Tax laws and regulations change frequently. You are responsible for consulting with your own tax professional/advisor regarding specific tax requirements and obligations. Uphold is not responsible for ensuring you provide accurate or adequate reporting made by you or your tax professional on your tax returns.


Was this article helpful?
1 out of 1 found this helpful