Customers of financial platforms like Uphold can be a target for scammers attempting to gain access to their accounts to either steal funds directly, or coerce victims themselves into transferring their funds into an account controlled by the scammer.
These attempts could involve the criminal posing as an employee of Uphold or another service that the victim is connected to, such as a bank or shopping website. Victims could be targeted through a variety of communication methods including telephone, social media, email and messaging services.
There are a number of simple precautions that our Customers can take in order to protect themselves from this kind of activity.
- Ensure you have activated your device passcode/biometrics. Keep your device passwords private and ensure you use a random password that cannot be guessed.
- Ensure you have activated your Uphold app passcode/biometrics. Doing so is simple and takes no time at all.
- Setup 2-factor Authentication (2FA) immediately. This is simple to do and one of the most effective precautions you can take. 2FA provides an extra layer of security used to make sure that people trying to gain access to an online account are who they say they are. Click here to set up 2FA.
- NEVER share your login password or 2FA code with anyone - including anyone claiming to be from Uphold. We will never ask for it.
- Hang up immediately if someone instructs you to download any software to your device, for example Teamviewer, Anydesk or Go2Assist.
- Always check to ensure you are using Uphold’s legitimate website.
- Do NOT just google “Uphold” and click on the first link.
- Do use previously established Bookmarks or navigate directly to Uphold.com
- Report unsolicited contact immediately. If anyone, including someone claiming to be an Uphold representative, instructs you to set up an Uphold account, initiate a transaction or process a refund, stop that conversation and report it to us!
- Report anything suspicious immediately. If you suspect you may have fallen victim of a scam - report it to us immediately.
Better to be safe than sorry: If you have any questions or concerns whatsoever, please contact us here.